Laboratory of Environmental Microbiology is looking for a motivated postdoctoral fellow. The person will join the team that manages the GlobalFungi Database (https://globalfungi.com) to explore the biogeography and ecology of fungi. The position will be focused on modelling species distribution of fungi and exploring its drivers using large data collections as well as field sampling and experiments. In addition, the person will be also involved in coordinating the development of the GlobalFungi database.
We expect that the applicant has the following qualifications:
• PhD degree in the field of mycology, ecology, microbiology or similar
• Experience in microbial biodiversity, microbial ecology or bioinformatics
• First-authored papers in high-ranking IF journals in the fields of mycology, ecology or microbiology
• Excellence in English and good communication skills
• Motivation for independent scientific work as well as ability to coordinate a small team
• Experience with advanced statistics, modelling or large data management represents an advantage
• During the appointment, the person will be based in the Czech Republic
We offer the work in an inspiring and friendly environment of an international team of the Laboratory of Environmental Microbiology of the Institute of Microbiology in Prague, in the Czech Republic (see e.g. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Petr_Baldrian) and access to interesting experiments / datasets produced by the host institution and their collaborators. Gross salary: approximately 2300 EUR / month (in CZK), 30 days of paid holiday per year.
The position is offered for an initial period of one year, but may be extended. The position is open until filled, starting date is negotiable (expected before the end of 2022).
Please send your Curriculum Vitae, motivation letter and contact to at least two independent professionals (such as PhD or postdoc supervisors) who can provide reference. For more information, please contact Petr Baldrian (email@example.com).